Monday, 15 July 2013

Knitted Name Bunting

I decided that I wanted to knit my 2 year old niece some name bunting for her bedroom. From my previous attempts at knitting bunting I learnt two things:

1. Purling makes the edges curl over far too much.
2. Sewing the letters onto the finished knitted piece only looks ok-ish.

My problem was, if I wanted better looking letters by knitting them into the pattern (intarsia), I would have to use the stocking stitch, which would result in curling. Such a dilemma.

However, I fixed it :) By giving my bunting pieces a moss border and a moss back, they turned out flat and sturdy, whilst having a stocking stitch middle.

You will need
4.5mm needles
DK wool - At least two colours
Darning needle

This is what you do:
Firstly, figure out how many letters you are making. You will need to knit a square (25 stitches by 33 rows) in moss/seed stitch for each letter.

Because there is an odd number of stitches, you will be starting each row with a knit stitch and end it with a purl.

Now, it's time for the letters.

Here is an example of a chart I created for one of my bunting letters.

All the green squares symbolise the moss stitch.

Everything inside the moss stitch border is knitted using the stocking stitch, including the grey squares that make up the letter L.

Make sure that when you are doing intarsia knitting (changing colours to make a shape or pattern), you wrap the two different colours of wool around each other before a change. This will avoid horrible nasty holes.
(There are loads of useful youtube videos on doing this!)

Hopefully, you'll find that the moss border has prevented the square from from curling!


So. Now you have all of your letters and some plain moss squares. So what do we do? We sew a moss square onto the back of each of the letters! This creates makes it good and strong and sturdy. Everything you want in a man and in a bunting piece.


Now, we need something from which our name bunting pieces hang from.
You could either:
A. Cast on about 5 stitches and knit until it is as long as you need it to be.
or
B. Finger knit it! (check out my blog post on finger knitting)

I chose to finger knit it, because it is far easier and quicker whilst looking harder and more impressive. Score.

Lastly, you need to sew your name bunting pieces onto your beautiful wool rope! I would also suggest adding loops to either end of your bunting, so you are able to hang it up.

Well done! Good job. You have finished your beautiful knitted name bunting.

When my niece was presented with her knitted name bunting, she proceeded to hold it by one end and walk around, letting it drag behind her. I think she liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment